Jockey Jye McNeil celebrated a break-out season by being honoured with the Scobie Breasley Medal and the peer-voted Most Valuable Jockey award on the 2022 Victorian Racing Awards on Saturday night time.
McNeil can add the 2 prestigious awards to his season’s trophy cupboard which embody victory within the 2020 Melbourne Cup and his first Victorian metropolitan jockeys’ premiership in 2021/22.
The 27-year-old gained the Breasley Medal with 56 votes, three greater than 11-time winner Damien Oliver, with Damian Lane (42) and star apprentice Alana Kelly (30) coming in subsequent.
Incentivise, educated by Peter Moody, comfortably gained the Victorian Racehorse of the Year title with 95 votes, with Melbourne Cup winner Verry Elleegant runner-up with 54 votes.
Incentivise gained the Caulfield Cup amongst his three straight Group 1 wins within the 2021 Spring Carnival.
For the second straight 12 months, the all-conquering Ciaron Maher and David Eustace steady claimed the Fred Hoysted Medal, which recognises excellence on and off the coaching observe.
They had been the unanimous alternative after one other dominant season through which they gained races starting from the Oakleigh Plate (1100m) to the Grand Annual Steeplechase (5500m). They gained the Victorian Metropolitan Trainers title with 104 wins, and the Victorian total state title with 276 winners.
Maddie Raymond gained the Colin Alderson Award for up-and-coming coach, whereas Irish pair Willie McCarthy and Richard O’Donoghue tied within the Tommy Corrigan Medal for jumps jockeys.
Votes for the winners had been:
Scobie Breasley Medal
- Jye McNeil (56 votes)
- Damien Oliver (53)
- Damian Lane (42)
- Alana Kelly (30)
- Brett Prebble and Craig Williams (each 29)
Victorian Racehorse of the Year
- Incentivise (95 votes)
- Verry Elleegant (54)
- Hitotsu (32)
- Zaaki (27)
- Nature Strip (12)
Tommy Corrigan Medal
- Willie McCarthy and Richard O’Donoghue (each 10 votes)
- Steven Pateman (8)
- Aaron Lynch, Darryl Horner (Jnr) and Lee Horner (all 6)
Fred Hoysted Medal
- Ciaron Maher and David Eustace
VJA Most Valuable Jockey
VJA Rising Star
The 2021-22 Victorian premiership winners had been additionally recognised tonight. They had been:
- Metropolitan Jockeys’ Premiership (Roy Higgins Medal): Jye McNeil (74 wins)
- Victorian Jockeys’ Premiership: John Allen (130)
- Metropolitan Apprentices’ Premiership: Josh Richards (39)
- Victorian Apprentices’ Premiership: Alana Kelly (71)
- Metropolitan Trainers’ Premiership: Ciaron Maher and David Eustace (104)
- Victorian Trainers’ Premiership: Ciaron Maher and David Eustace (276)