Now that the vacation season is behind us, there’s an inevitable lull within the post-New Year’s pleasure. Decorations have come down and and not using a theme to information our means, it may be simple to really feel… slightly misplaced. The holidays have a humorous means of taking on each a part of our lives—to the extent that after the primary of the yr comes round, we could surprise the place the previous few months have gone. As a lot as we attempt to be intentional concerning the days between November and December, the flurry of exercise can ship our inside compass spinning. That’s why, alongside my record of intentions for 2023, I’m making a winter bucket record to assist me hold inventory of all I would like to do within the weeks to come.
Featured picture by Michelle Nash.
Free Vision Workbook
Make it occur. This useful resource will show you how to deliberately set (and understand) targets to dwell out your function.
Thanks for Signing Up!
Looks such as you’re already signed up or your e mail handle is invalid.
Looks such as you unsubscribed earlier than click here to resubscribe.
41 Inspiring Ideas to Add to Your Winter Bucket List
Bucket lists function as a nice little roadmap to inspire presence and intention in all of our days. They help us step outside of our comfort zones every so often to experience the unfamiliarity of a life beyond our own rituals, rhythms, and routines. As you move through your winter bucket list, the goal is to experience growth—small, but significant change.
I was careful to design this bucket list so that it remains in tune with the season, honoring the coziness and comfort that’s ours to soak up before spring.
So if you’ve felt your excitement waning over the past few days (or worry that the fresh start of a new year may not hold for long), I invite you to join me in checking off the 41 winter bucket list ideas below. Each will help you make the most of the cozy season—and scare off any SAD vibes that come your way.
1. Host a party for the big game. Don’t let football season pass you by without gathering for at least one game! Even if you’re not a fan, here’s the truth: it’s all about the snacks.
2. Watch a series from start to finish. Arguably not one of the most challenging ideas on this list. But I know that once spring comes, I’ll be spending more hours outside than in. There’s never a better time than the present to binge-watch a new fave.
3. Cozy up by a fire. With a book, knitting, whatever—just not your phone. Don’t have a fireplace at home? Find a cute coffee shop or bar in your city that does.
4. Create a signature scent scape. Scent is perhaps the most overlooked sense, but it’s also one of the most transformative. Get expert tips on how to make your home smell amazing.
5. Picnic indoors. I have the Barefoot Contessa herself to thank for this tip. While I was watching her holiday special during the Christmas break, she hosted what she called an “indoor picnic” with a few fabulous friends. Make a charcuterie board, pour some wine, and add a soup to the mix. You’re welcome to eat at the dining table, but I love the casual, picnic-y vibes of gathering around the kitchen counter.
6. Have a ski weekend. Is there anything more wintry than driving out to the mountains and hitting the slopes? Even if you’re not a skier, you’re still welcome to indulge in the après-ski vibes.
7. Bake your heart out. Not sure about you, but when the temps reach above 70, my kitchen is officially closed for the season. Make the most of the cold weekend days indoors with this definitive list of the best things to bake when you’re bored.
8. Tour a museum. I live in Chicago, and if you’ve been here before, you know it’s one of the best museum cities in the country. I have lots to check off on my list—and winter’s the best time to make it happen. I highly recommend following my lead. There’s little that inspires me more.
9. Go on a bookstore date. With your partner, a friend, or yourself! Browse the shelves and pick something outside of your typical genres. There’s nothing like the new year to expand your horizons.
10. Explore a new neighborhood in your city. Every weekend, my partner and I make a point to get out of our neighborhood and see what the surrounding areas have to offer. You’ll happen upon new restaurants, shops, and perhaps even discover where you want to live next (I have!).
12. Sign up for a community garden. Don’t have a backyard? Do you live in a city? Thankfully, there are community gardens that offer space and an opportunity to grow your own veggies and flowers. Connect with your local Park District to learn more. (P.S. Now’s the time to join—spots often fill up fast!)
13. Send letters to loved ones. Snail mail doesn’t have to end just because you’ve mailed your holiday cards. Pick up some cute stationary, stock up on stamps, and send thoughtful notes to friends and family.
14. Work your way through the Oscar nominees. The nominations are released on January 24 and predictions guarantee a solid lineup. Challenge your self to watch all of them earlier than the Academy Awards in March.
15. Find a brand new throw you possibly can’t cease snuggling up with. You know the one. It’s unbelievably mushy, heat, and precisely what you need whenever you’re craving cozy and cozy vibes. This is the one I’m wrapped up in at all times.
16. Try out a brand new fragrance. During this season of reinvention, there’s no higher time to discover a new scent. Consult our information to one of the best clear fragrances.
17. Make Valentine’s playing cards. Did anybody else rely down the times till your class’s card alternate in elementary faculty? Since then, I’ve all the time vowed to make and ship handmade valentines to family and friends.
18. Add extra leafy greens to your food plan. An simple means to enhance your immune system and your temper this winter? Trying these nutritionist-approved ideas for getting your greens.
19. Create an affirmation jar. Gather the constructive affirmations that resonate with you or get impressed to create your personal! Write them down on paper, reduce them out, and put them in a mason jar that you simply pull from every morning.
20. Get a spa remedy. Massage, facial, cupping—no matter your physique and thoughts presently crave. Book your appointment at present, your future self will thanks.
21. Map out your greatest 2023 but. Vision boarding is a key a part of making your goals a actuality. To assist you, we created the Vision & Goal Setting Workbook. Get your copy here.
22. Reorganize your fridge. Is there anything more satisfying? For Camille’s expert advice, see here.
24. Find your new favourite journal. The easiest method to make journaling a behavior that sticks? Getting a journal you’re keen on. Browse these guided choices.
25. Build up your self-confidence arsenal. Looking for methods to really feel fearless in 2023? These 5 methods are on the spot confidence boosters.
26. Join The New York Times 7-Day Happiness Challenge. “Simple steps for a more joyful, more connected 2023.” Get started here.
27. Skip the small discuss. At each gathering this winter, let these dialog starters encourage significant questions. They’ll show you how to get to the center of who individuals are, what they care about, and the way they join greatest.
28. Listen to the Normal Gossip podcast. If you miss workplace chats or identical to to take pleasure in juicy tales about folks you’ll by no means meet, you’re in for a deal with.
29. Watch “The White Lotus.” If you haven’t seen season 1 but, begin instantly. If you haven’t seen season 2, get caught up. If you’ve seen each seasons and might’t look ahead to the subsequent, start re-watching now.
30. Learn to crack an egg with one hand. The easiest method to immediately turn out to be the good particular person on the celebration. It’s a ability price bragging about.
31. Perfect your favourite cuppa. In the morning, the afternoon, and post-dinner—you possibly can all the time catch me with a heat cup of tea. Relatable? I assumed so. This is the Masala Chai recipe to make on repeat.
32. Join Open’s Meditation and Breathwork Challenge. While you’ll be joining just a couple of days late, this is one of the only challenges I’m happily taking part in this January. Nourish your mind and connect deeper with your emotions—learn more here.
33. Make a Mardi Gras King Cake. Skip the crowds and revel in one of the best half concerning the vacation at residence. This moist and buttery yeast-risen cake is a deal with that everybody will love. Don’t skimp on the yellow, purple, and inexperienced glowing sugars. They’re one of the best half.
34. Celebrate winter consolation meals. Because in just some months’ time, you gained’t be dreaming of heat and comfy meals. Make probably the most of winter consuming with these wholesome(ish) consolation meals recipes.
35. Get addicted to Shelf Life. ELLE.com is aware of a compelling collection when it sees one. Shelf Life dives deep into our favourite celebrities’ favourite reads. Aubrey Plaza, Misty Copeland, and Celeste Ng are just some of my faves.
36. Have a pajama day. On a Saturday or Sunday this winter, make pancakes, watch films, binge your favourite reads, and indulge within the pleasure that’s carrying your comfiest loungewear all day.
37. Design your dream home. Curl up with Remodelista in Maine. No ebook captures the down-to-earth, rustic New England model higher, and there’s no different exercise that conjures up our wanderlust extra.
38. Try mountain climbing. Adventure, indoors. Sign up for a newbie’s class at your native climbing gymnasium. Once you begin, it’s laborious to cease. Bonus: It’s much more enjoyable with pals!
39. Buy a paint-by-numbers package. Even in the event you declare not to have an inventive bone in your physique, the consequence will nearly all the time be beautiful. Start with this kit—she’s a stunner.
40. Subscribe to a gardening podcast. If you possibly can’t wait till spring, begin cultivating your inexperienced thumb now. The American Horticulture Society presents a whole library of podcasts on totally different gardening subjects with professional visitors. Learn concerning the Slow Flower Movement, how to assist pure wildlife, and the significance of educating youngsters how to backyard.
41. Find your new favourite winter candle. It’s the easiest way to set the temper it doesn’t matter what you’re up to. We love the Black Fig candle from P.F. Candle Co., Hideaway by One Wednesday, and L’Avant Collective’s Fresh Linen.